FINDING A DEVIL IN YOUR CHURCH'S PULPIT
canon of books, but instead, recognized the canon of books, making up the Bible. (Taken from Evidence that Demands a Verdict, page 33).
The basic reason for recognizing a canon in the first place, was that Satan was producing his own Versions and Scriptures!
In the 1st Century, after the last book of the Bible was written (Revelation), Marcion tried to pass off false scriptures, and others did the same thing. It was clear that the Canon needed to be settled.
Here were the standards used:
- Is the book Authoritative? Did the book come from the hand of God?
- Is the book Prophetic? Was the book written by a man of God?
- Is the book Authentic? If any doubt, throw it out. Men filled with the Holy Spirit could and still can easily determine a fake from the real thing! The Apostles, while alive, of course told what they wrote, and what they did not write.
- Is the book Dynamic? Did the book come from the Life transforming power of God?
- Was the book received, collected, read, and used by true Christians? Did the people of God accept the book?
A book had to meet all of these standards, before it was placed in the Bible. (From Evidence that Demands a Verdict, page 34).
Notice what Christ said about the Old Testament Canon – Luke 24:44 and Luke 11:51.
Notice also, New Testament witnesses – Matthew 21:42; Matthew 22:29; Matthew 26:54,56; Luke 24; John 5:39; John 10:34; Acts 17:2; Acts 18:28; Romans 1:2; Romans 4:3; Romans 9:17; Romans 10:11; Romans 11:2; Romans 15:4; Romans 16:26; I Corinthians 15:3-4; Galatians 3:8; Galatians 3:22; Galatians 4:30; 1 Timothy 5:18; 2 Timothy 3:16; and 2 Peter 1:20-21.
How about the Apocrypha?
Today there are many Catholics who insist that the Apocrypha belongs in the bible. Let us look at why the Apocrypha does not belong in the Bible.
- The Apocrypha did not pass the standards of the Canon.
- The Apocrypha is full of inaccuracies, both historical and geographical. (Unger’s Bible Dictionary)
- The Apocrypha is full of false doctrine, contradicting the rest of the Bible (Unger’s Bible Dictionary)
- The Apocrypha has no Divine nature (Unger’s Bible Dictionary)
It is important to note, that the Catholics did not even call these books Scripture, until 1545-1563 AD, at the Counsel of Trent. This was due to the Protestant
<--Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next-->